It is very popular to say that there no effective way to talk to an addict.  But don’t believe it.  Addicts are human, and have almost all the feelings, fears, hopes and dreams that non-addicts have.  The only difference is that we are rather sick when we are in our active addiction.

Many people don’t have the experience or training to effectively deal with someone in active addiction and that is why there is so much frustration, hurt, and misunderstanding.

Talking with a meth addict can be a very complex maneuver.

Without going into too much detail, let me add a few tips to the posts that have already been made.

First of all, please realize this:  ADDICTION IS NO FUN.  It really isn’t.  Using drugs night have a degree of thrill, fun, excitement, glamour, and zoom to it in the beginning.  But with meth, it doesn’t take long at all before the drug takes over and serious addiction results.  Addiction, or chemical dependency is hell, it is slavery, and the active addict knows good and well he is trapped, but he often thinks he will be able to escape.  A common coping mechanism is lying and denial.  These are common, because they work.

How to talk to a meth user who lies or denies using:

Try something like this.

“Hey Joe, (or Jane)  can I talk to you for a minute?”

If the answer is “yes” then continue.

“I know it is none of my business what you do with your private life, but I want to share something with you.  I’ve noticed that sometimes you act or behave in a way that is similar to the way that meth users act or behave.  I’m not saying, or even asking, if you are, all I’m saying is that is what I have observed, that there is a similarity. Also, if I notice this, there is also a good chance that other people notice it also.  I’m not here to judge you.  All I wanted to do is share what I’ve observed.”

At this point, the person might tell you to “F*ck Off” or something similar.  In which case, leave it be.  Just add something like,

“OK,  but if you ever want to talk, I’m willing to listen.”

If the person  is silent, you can say the same thing:  “I’m willing to listen”

Don’t try to tell a meth addict what to do.

Don’t give them advice unless they specifically ask.

What he needs more than anything is someone who will not judge, condemn or give advice.